Gilbert Arenas out 3 Months *Cry*

Posted by on November 21st, 2007 in News

Washington Wizards leading scorer Gilbert Arenas underwent surgery on his left knee on Wednesday and will miss about three months.

Arenas had been experiencing swelling and soreness in the knee which he had surgically repaired late last season. After sitting out the past two games, Arenas underwent an MRI Wednesday morning. He underwent the surgery later in the afternoon.

Arenas thinks he reinjured the knee on Friday.

“Everything just started hurting after the game,” Arenas said, according to the Washington Post. “The pain came out of nowhere.”

Team officials say the surgery was a success and Arenas will begin rehabilitation soon.

“It’s a downer because I really thought I was getting back,” Arenas said, according to the Post. “It’s a big setback but I guess I’ll start all over again.”

6 responses so far ↓

• gilbertology // Nov 21, 2007 at 3:52 pm

it’s a sad day… get well Gilbert!

• SomeWizFan // Nov 21, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Def. a bad day. Although its good to see he didnt hesitate to get the surgery asap. He didnt hesitate as well when he first injured the knee in april. Oh well, this is gonna be a long season, and I’d prefer him not to return to the lineup this season until he’s 100% sure that he’s 100% recovered. This team wont go down easily, with or without Gil. This is a good chance for our young guys to get experience, Blatche and Young’s already showing improvement, which will help determine our record until Gil’s return. And hopefully if we can maintain a good record until he comes back, Gil resigns with us next off-season.

It’s good to keep our heads up and be optimistic, while being without Gil hurts us, this can be a blessing in disguise and end up helping us in the long run.

• lauri grunig // Nov 22, 2007 at 9:05 am

My heart goes out to you. I had total knee-replacement surgery Sept. 11 (an inauspicious date for an operation, I realize)and I’m still in a great deal of pain. I can’t imagine how you could practice, much less play. On the other hand, at least you must have excellent medical care. Any suggestions for my knee? It remains very stiff and sore, despite my best efforts at PT. I’m a retired professor from UM, who led a sedentary lifestyle for years. That may be why I’m having such difficulty. Anyhow, I wish you well. LG

• aop // Nov 23, 2007 at 5:49 am

I think that he came back too early. The knee is a very complex joint…maybe now Gil will take the time to rest. I don’t know if you all have read Mike Wilbon’s column from yesterday’s Washington Post – but I tend to agree that it could help the Wizards in the long run.

As long as they beat the crap teams and hover around .500, the Wiz will be in good shape when Gil gets back. Plus it will help to get the rest of the squad ready to score 20 on a given night and speed up the growth of Blatche and Young. Maybe DeShawn will catch fire too at some point…

• Tiefany Hinds // Dec 4, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Thank you for being such an inspiration to young men and women, I was never interested in basketball, until I read your story, i was in awe, it was amazing, ever since that day I have followed every game. My prayers go out to you wishing you a happy and healthy recovery. I hope that one day I can inspire someone during my travels around the world.
    Tiefany Hinds
    tiefanyhinds@hotmail.com

• foXnoMad » Gilbert Arenas Launches Official Store // Dec 12, 2007 at 11:00 am

[…] currently injured NBA superstar is selling basketballs, signed jerseys, and wristbands to support his Zero-to-Hero […]